What follows is a list of resources that might be helpful to local civic organizations, non-profits, or individuals looking to make the community just a little bit nicer:
Twenty Thirty Dream Hub: A Co-Working Space and Adulting Empowerment Hub
The Twenty Thirty Dream Hub is a center for 20-somethings and 30-somethings in the Jamaica, Queens area to be empowered in their careers and pursuits. Adulting is better when you adult together, so we host “Adulting 101” workshops on topics such as financial literacy, small business development, setting goals, and other essential life skills. The centerpiece, is a co-working space specifically for young adults entrepreneurs and innovators making entrepreneurship more accessible in Jamaica & Southeast Queens. For young adults, by young adults, Queens-grown. The Twenty Thirty Dream Hub is a FPCJ community project. For additional information, visit https://www.twentythirtydreamhub.com
MillionTreesNYC, one of the 132 PlaNYC initiatives, is a citywide, public-private program with an ambitious goal: to plant and care for one million new trees across the City’s five boroughs over the next decade. By planting one million trees, New York City can increase its urban forest—our most valuable environmental asset made up of street trees, park trees, and trees on public, private and commercial land—by an astounding 20%, while achieving the many quality-of-life benefits that come with planting trees. The City of New York will plant 70% of trees in parks and other public spaces. The other 30% will come from private organizations, homeowners, and community organizations. MillionTreesNYC offers “mini” grants. For additional information, visit http://milliontreesnyc.org.
New York Restoration Project
In 1995, New York City experienced a revolution that would change its landscape – quite literally – forever… and for the better. Returning to the city that helped launch her celebrated career, famed entertainer Bette Midler found many of its streets, neighborhoods and parks consumed by a sea of litter and years of neglect. A figurative force of nature in the entertainment world, The Divine Miss M also proved to be a literal force of nature in protecting and preserving New York City’s public spaces and parks. Initially recruiting friends and family, Bette set about removing garbage from Fort Tryon Park and Fort Washington Park in Upper Manhattan. What began as a grass roots effort led to her founding the non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP). The organization soon established itself not only by making a visual difference, but also a social impact – particularly in under-resourced neighborhoods located throughout the city’s five boroughs. In addition, NYRP set the standard for greening efforts in New York City as a key player and partner with the New York City Department of Parks & Recreation and others in what was, at that time, the very beginning of a greening “ecolution.” For additional information about the New York Restoration Project, visit http://www.nyrp.org.
OasisNYC.net is the richest source of community maps for New York City. Additional information can obviously be found at http://oasisnyc.net.
Parent Leadership Institute Alumni Association
The mission of The Parent Leadership Institute Alumni Association is to solidify and empower families through systems continuation and growth, to develop families psychologically, emotionally and socially thus enhancing self esteem, to provide assistance, support and methods of strengthening family life through communication techniques and skills in handling difficult situations and interpersonal relationships, to enhance healthy growth through change in behavior and attitude, and develop the whole person so that children and parents maintain respect, pride and dignity in becoming loyal human beings in all their endeavors. each parent and child will then have the skills to assume responsibility for his or her actions in the home and the community.
Martha Oliver, LMSW
P.O. Box 120310
118-09 195th Street
Saint Albans, New York 11412-0310
Phone: (718) 276-4263
Partnerships for Parks
Founded in 1995, we help New Yorkers work together to make neighborhood parks thrive. Ultimately, our work supports a culture of collaboration among people and government that recognizes that parks are vital centers of community life. Partnerships for Parks offers grants. Additional information can be found at:
Toastmasters Club – Cambria Heights
Interested in improving your public speaking and leadership skills? The Cambria Heights Toastmasters Club is dedicated to helping members become better communicators and leaders in a supportive environment. Meets every 1st and 3rd Saturday at 2:30 PM at Cambria Heights Library, 218-13 Linden Blvd, Cambria Heights, NY 11411. For additional information, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org